What does UnpackingADHD mean?
If you live with ADHD traits, developing an awareness and understanding of your unique brain wiring is incredibly valuable. “Unpacking” ADHD is a personal process of learning about ADHD, sorting myths from realities, and figuring it out what it all means for you. How does your brain work? And how might that transform the way you live your life?
If you haven’t had the opportunity to go through that process, it’s probably a big barrier in your life. Lack of awareness and understanding of your wiring may be the reason you’re not moving forward at the pace you’d imagined or living the life you’ve imagined living.
It’s critical to understand how your neurobiology impacts your behavior. Brain impacts behavior.
When you gain awareness and understanding of your unique brain wiring, you can begin to let go of self-blame and negative self-attributions. You also begin to see what’s you and what’s ADHD.
I encourage you to keep a balanced focus. That means recognizing and using more of your core character strengths, while also crafting strategies to manage your ADHD challenges. Too often we get lost in the mud by focusing only on our challenges.
Perspectives from the ADHD Tribe
Here’s what UnpackingADHD fellow travelers have said when asked: “What does “unpacking” ADHD mean to you?”
- “Recently, I’ve had some amazing revelations about how my wiring has affected my sense of self and even how I’ve made crucial life decisions based on bad data about my capabilities…or potential, at least. Now I see how deeply ‘feeling different’ for most of my life has impacted me, I’m starting to revise and update my opinion of myself, explore new options for my future, and basically take a fresh look at most aspects of my life.”
- “I was surrounded by others satisfied with just getting by/surviving. What I’ve uncovered is the need to be more inventive—more creative personally and professionally.”
- “I get it. The goal is not to fix myself but be who I am.”
- “I’m worthy of connection.”
- “Growing courage to be imperfect. Letting go of what I thought I should be.”
- “UnpackingADHD is wiggling my way out of the harness of work—my growing free time feels delicious.”
So, what does unpacking your ADHD mean to you? What have you unpacked or thrown out on your journey? And here’s an even more relevant question: what have you decided to pack in place of that stuff—or not?
I’d love to hear from you.
Don Baker, MA, LMHC
I’ve been leading groups for adults living with the traits of ADHD for more than 15 years. I am a licensed counselor in the state of Washington, and I received my own diagnosis of ADHD in 1997. I am passionate about sharing cutting edge information about ADHD wiring and helping people with ADHD connect with others in our “tribe.” I created the Unpacking ADHD Core Series, a flexible roadmap for adults with ADHD.